Wednesday, September 06, 2006

What's in a name?

The first day that we were on campus was such a gift to my heart. Brent Charlotte and I were walking out of the bookstore as we overheard someone say, "Utah has a lot of mormons don't they?" I called out a quick 'yes' over the shoulder, and heard someone say something back. So, back into the bookstore we went and found ourselves in the middle of a conversation about the differences between mormonism and Christianity. We met a great guy who's name I'll keep to myself from Kuwait, and he had been talking with some mormon missionaries. One of his last statements really struck our hearts. He said, "If anyone is nice enough to remember my name the least I can do is check out their religion... so I told them I would."

Remembering a name. Is that all it may take to gain credibility with someone? It seemed so simple, and so scary. We had a good talk with him, explained some of the differences, and made plans to meet again. God bless him, and help us to love the people around us enough to remember names, and even more so, to share the infinitely greater love of God. I'm glad He knows my name, and our new friend's, but so glad that He loves so much more than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home